Meta: Too far Re: [extropy-chat] Re: Iraq and legality again

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 30 13:54:01 UTC 2005

From: Joseph Bloch

"And yet, we remain pre-PostHumans, and as such are constrained to act
within our current limitations and psychological and social constraints.
Our focus must perforce be not to puzzle out what sort of
politico-socio-economic structure should or will be in place in a
PostHuman world, but rather which contemporary structure is most
conducive to bringing it about."

Granted, however we need to look at the social structure today and assess
where the bottle necks are blocking social responsiblity, individual
responsibility, and international/global relations.  When people/humanity
feel confident, we are less likely to engage in battle.  People/humanity
becomes confident by feeling unique within our circles/groups/locales.
When this occurs and no one is telling ud how to brlieve, there is less of
a threat that we will coerced others to adopt their rules.

Issues today center around rapid technological change or accelerating
change.  People feel that they are forced to accept biotechnology, for
example.  The reaction is to insist on politics or religon to protect their
own rights/beliefs.  We see this with the Christian right - who are gaining
momentum becuase they feel threatened.

In order to develop unbiased system for all of us to function, we need
develop a "give and take" system of compromise.  In order to do this, our
numbers MUST increase, and sooner rather than later.

Democracy is a good thing, to be sure.  So is vitamin C.  But forcing the
body to take it when it is already out in the sun can have side effects.
Too much vitamin C can cause "rust" in the body
http://www.napa.ufl.edu/2001news/vitaminC.htm as have ill effects on those
who have diabetes, and even cause disease.

While it might be best not to exceed 500mg a day (although my family
member, the late Linus Pauling would have disagreed), we still need it.

In regards to pushing democracy as equality and fair-play as a mask for
aggressive behavior, I must pause and take a look at what is really going
on and I do not think it is entirely pretty.

"I say that if wrapping Transhumanism in the flag (whichever flag) will
make it more palatable to the masses, and thus more likely to be adopted
as a world-view and common vision, then wrap away! If that means that an
America inspired by a Transhumanist vision melded with the American
Dream ends up being the most effective way of bringing about the >H
future, then so be it. If it means that a China inspired by a
Transhumanist vision melded with a fusion of Chinese nationalism and
post-Maoist ideology ends up being the most effective way of bringing
about the >H future, than so be IT."

I do not agree with this because it is compromising transhumanism.  By its
very nature, transhumanism is BIGGER than a flag.

"Nationalism, like anything else, can be a means to an end. In our case,
that end is a PostHuman existence. We cannot, by definition, say what
that existence will be like. But we can, with at least a modicum of
insight, say which contemporary ideologies are most likely to bring
about the PostHuman era."

Like art, it is the process that gives quality.  I'm in no rush for
posthumanity.

"My money is on the mixed capitalism of the United States, ultimately.
Others may have different thoughts as to which nation(s) are most likely
to usher in the >H era. Vive la difference! Let the better strategy win.
I hope we'll all be friends during, and after, the competition."

My money would be on a collaborative effort - joined intelligence and
creataivity and coopetition rather than competition.  But I'll work with
you on whatever level to proactively bring in the new era!

Cheers!
Natasha