[extropy-chat] Re: Meta: Too far

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 17:29:23 UTC 2005

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > That's amazingly impressive and speedy work! Invade
> > a nation with less than
> > 5 days warning.
> >
> Actually there are divisions of the U.S. military like
> 82nd airborne and, in my case, the now defunct 7th
> light infantry division that have rotating rosters of
> high alert readiness at all times. Thus at any time
> the U.S. can have troops deployed and on the ground
> anywhere in the world in less than 48 hours. Which is
> also why many soldiers don't even know where they are
> going, because they barely have time to pack.

And, moreover, the US bases in Panama, at the time, were the HQ of the
US Central Command, which is tasked with control over all rapid
deployment forces. The US had few ground units to move in country that
were not already there (the 82nd Airborne was one, I believe that moved
in). US sourced forces were primarily airpower related, particularly
the stealth fighters and the F-111Ds from my own unit at Cannon AFB,
NM.

We didn't have to 'invade', we were already there. All the hard
logistical work that takes so much time prior to an invasion had been
done decades before.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com