[extropy-chat] Double standard for academic free speech

Ned Late nedlt at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 03:46:07 UTC 2005

A certain imaginary professor Goober writes of how
"coeds who were raped on campus over the years
deserved it because Eve tempted Adam in the Garden of
Eden... besides some of them wanted it
anyway". Thousands of parents would then descend--
both literally & figuratively--yelling and screeching,
"we pay taxes and no psycho professor can talk about
daughters deserving rape!"
The upshot would be the lightning fast end of Goober's
career with little or no discussion of free speech for
tenured professors.
 If a professor Booger were to announce "uppity
negroes deserved to be executed" then out the door he
goes; yet a Ward Churchill can make weasel remarks
concerning people roasted alive at the WTC and he
stays. He's even a hero, I saw a crowd cheering him
Thursday.
Welcome to 21st century PC campuses.