[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 05:36:49 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of kevinfreels.com
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

> Religion changes over time. Which religion would be the easiest to change
to something more transhumanistic?...

I have argued in this forum that the brand of religion
you seek might be Seventh Day Adventist, because of its
roots in the 19th century health reform movement, John
Harvey Kellogg and that crowd.  SDA has no problem with
cryonics, since the SDA doctrine of soul sleep lets it
out of the obvious question most fundy christian groups
must immediately answer: where does my soul go if I
get frozen.  The SDA would say: into the dewar of course.

Likewise, no problem with uploading and body modifications,
even if the modifications are for the nonsick.

There are some very basic showstoppers however, because
SDA does not embrace evolution, or rather has not done
so to date.  The church's scientists (both of them)
keep meeting to discuss and promote evolution but
the mainstream will not follow.

An argument can be made that Mormon is transhumanable,
but I do not know much about that memeset.

> I know that religion is contrary to rational thinking, but I don't think
> that getting rid of religion is an option...

Agree in part, but my reading of the Extropian principles
convinces me that these are not all that compatible with
any of the religions that I know.