[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 4 15:57:11 UTC 2005

Both of you make salient points, and I agree that there is something to the
ideal of having a system that brings together values and goals for the
deeper feelings of humanity and acts as a reminder, rather than a turnkey,
on how we present ourselves to the world.  Yet, when I look at each
religion, I find either dogma or downright silliness that takes the
positive and meaningful aspects of the practice and places it in cultish
behavior.

When a person who presents "rational" views that are "objective" and comes
down hard on someone else who presents "mystical" feelings, it seems that
the former is bonking the latter for being foolish.  Yet, often the former
could use some of the insightfulness of the latter.

For me, worshiping a person seems ridiculous.  Respecting a person seems
appropriate.  What if Christianity respected Jesus rather than worshiped
Jesus?  Perhaps it is all the theatrical and exaggeration of a love for
holiness that makes humans seem like monkeys (and I apologize to monkeys).
Rather than intelligent capable people.  It is the fact that religions take
away the dignity of humanity that is offensive to me.

And then the other side of that is the fact that I am so tired of people
acting better than other people because they have something that they
consider more valuable than someone else (positon, education,
associations).  And, most of these people are religious - I work with them
and feel the tension.

Spirituality seems to have a better understanding of the *healthiness* of a
global community.  But what would be more appropriate for transhumanity is
an intended kindness, compassion and understanding of the people and the
world.  I wish we had more of this.

I was so pleased when Jose' encouraged, and we put together the first
Transhumanist aid package.  When boxes came to the ExI office, I felt
elated.  Getting it to Sri Lanka has been a pain, but creating a charitable
event was important for me and I hope for others.

So, I'd take being charitable and kind over religion.  A benevolent
goodwill toward humanity.

Natasha