[extropy-chat] Faculty X

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Fri Mar 4 17:53:12 UTC 2005

Jeff Medina wrote:

>Dirk said:
>

>>Some people have experienced the mystical, and some haven't.
>>

>Some people have decided to claim their neurological glitches and
>unusual sensations as "mystical" experiences, and some haven't.

Yadda yadda... heard it before.
Next, love is nothing but hormonal imbalace, followed by 'emotions -
animal instincts to be eliminated in the new Master Race'.

Dirk said:

>>I consider those that haven't to be deficient in the same way a
>>psychopath is deficient, and it really annoys me to hear them bleating
>>on about 'irrationality' etc when they know fuck all of which they
>>speak. It's like trying to explain to a blind man that colour is more
>>than a brail readout of wavelength on a spectrometer.
>>

>What, if anything, do you think differentiates this BS of yours from a
>fundamentalist Christian who says "You atheists and Asatru
>technopagans know fuck all about the Truth of Christ! You just haven't
>experienced him in your heart yet like I have."

Or the BS of yours, for that matter.

>In "God and the Philosophers", one of the essayists claims her reason
>for being a Catholic is the awe she feels when looking upon a grand
>mountain range. This breed of "argument from mystical experience" is
>worthless, in both her and your case.

So is argument from any qualia.
But unfortunately for you it is a major determinant in the future of
Transhumanity.

>Dirk said:
>

>>statement. If we are advocating scrapping 'mystical experience' as
>>deficient and irrational why don't we go the whole hog and get rid of
>>conscience, love, empathy, emotion in general and other similarly
>>irrational hangovers.
>>

>Because *feeling* isn't what we have a problem with. It's the bullshit
>interpretation of some of them as implicative of something
>"higher"/mystical/supernatural that's idiotic.

Ditto all qualia.
See love and hate for references.

--
Dirk