[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sat Mar 5 18:05:01 UTC 2005

Olga Bourlin wrote:

> From: "Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>
>
>> Quite so. Does Joseph claim that calling Genesis a metaphor is an
>> atheistic doctrine?
>

> ... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, there are so many creation myths (some
> much more interesting than Genesis), and so little time.
>
> Such would be calling most of christianity
>
>> atheists. Most christian sects state that you can only know god through
>> metaphor and analogy, because to look it in the face would kill you
>> (whether this means automatic uploading is an open question).
>

> Practically speaking, it's not just christians -- but *all religious
> people are atheists* (because - like it or not - they are "without
> god(s))". Atheism is not an option.  Believing in a god does not make
> it so.

Theological ignorance on your part.

>> Those believing in the literal word of the bible also tend to buy the
>> Charlton Heston character in the clouds infantile image of god.
>

> Unfortunately, many, many people do.  And in a book I read in the
> 1980s called "Dumbth" (by Steve Allen ... yes, that Steve Allen), it
> starts out by relating how some of those many adult people used to
> send Morris the Cat (yes, that Morris the Cat) fan letters. Etcetera.
> Scary stuff.
>
>> Josephs statements here imply to me another confirmation of what I see
>> so commonly: most atheists suffer from stunted theology and a lack of
>> sophisticated spiritual education, at least under whatever organized
>> religion they were raised in (or lack thereof)
>

> If I only knew what you meant by "stunted theology" and "lack of
> sophisticated spiritual education," I would comment.  But I'm not
> certain what you mean by those terms.

He's referring to your ignorance of theology which leads to to believe
that 'God' has only one definition or meaning, conditioned by the
Judeo/Xian/Islamic POV.

I have experience of Gods as interactive archetypes - not 'belief'.
The fact that I define 'Gods' in a manner that is far less restrictive
than you does not make me an atheist.

You are setting up a straw man by your apparently ignorant assumptions as to what a 'proper' God should be.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org