[extropy-chat] Stayin' alive

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 06:09:28 UTC 2005

Sunday Telegraph: Want to live forever? Technologies exist today that
not only promote anti-ageing, but also suggest death is not quite as
inevitable as it seems.
For centuries alchemists searched for the secrets of the elixir of
life and the fountain of youth in a desperate but ultimately futile
attempt to prolong life indefinitely. Now it seems that science is
finally catching up with science fiction and the idea of immortality
may not be as ridiculous as once thought.
Nanotechnology, DNA mapping, cloning, stem cell research and human
genome studies are all challenging the notion that ageing is
inevitable and unalterable. Ageing, it seems, is a potentially curable
condition.
"Nanotechnology involves the development of small robots called
nanobots," says Elstein. "When these nanobots are inserted into the
body they go around correcting any damage or structural defects. It's
like a super antioxidant.
"The capacity for nanobots to repair whatever damage exists in the
body will enable us to live for much longer periods of time than we've
ever imagined. They are predicting we will be able to live for 200 to
300 years based on this technology.
"And the technology is not that far away - about 30 to 40 years."
http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,12441851-22809,00.html