[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline: meme map

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 7 21:14:50 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I have an idea.  We often think of science and
> technology
> as almost the same thing, or very similar.  They
> certainly
> form a symbiotic relationship.  For a thought
> experiment,
> let us try to separate the two, then make a meme map
> with
> technology on the horizontal axis and science on the
> vertical.  The upper right quadrant would be
> advanced in
> science and advanced in technology, where I want to
> be.
> Clearly much of this hungry planet is in the lower
> left
> quadrant, but perhaps we can find transhuman allies
> in
> the upper left and lower right quadrants.

Or even in the upper right.  More than one Eastern
religion, such as Buddism, seems compatible with both
advanced science and advanced tech.  There is no God;
there is what is - including, by implication, what we
make.  If we happen to make a holy duty out of easing
the suffering of all mankind, and some of us choose to
specialize in the invention of new ways to do so (like
cryonics and life extension), while some others choose
to specialize in the discovery of information that
will enable more of those efforts (like basic bio and
AI research), so be it.

And zen zere's Zen. ;)