[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

Jeff Medina analyticphilosophy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 00:05:36 UTC 2005

> But usage is what gives language its meaning,

This is precisely what I defer to in declaring said meaning. But it
does not stand alone; when more than one usage circulates with
frequency, it is the group itself whose definition I would propose to
be "the right one."

Some analogous situations are the majority of ignorant Americans and
their understanding and usage of the word "evolution" as contrasted
with the usage of evolutionary biologists, and the majority of
ignorant Americans and their disdainful usage of the term "philosophy"
as contrasted with the usage of professional philosophers. The latter
two groups are outnumbered, to be sure -- do you suggest we take up
the majoritarian use of evolution & philosophy as its meaning in our
discussions?

Equally, my interaction with atheists, the Free Thought movement, and
philosophers of religion & of naturalism suggests the proper usage is
in fact not what the majority of common folk tend to think it should
be.

"Paradigm lost."
I'll pine that loss, Damien, but continue undaunted all the same.