[extropy-chat] Enhancing Our Truth Orientation

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Tue Mar 8 03:09:43 UTC 2005

At 07:36 PM 3/7/2005, you wrote:
>>http://hanson.gmu.edu/moretrue.pdf
>
>"Depressed and mentally-ill people tend to be less self-deceived than
>others."
>
>Although I've heard similar things before; I studied social psych at uni
>(1987), I'm still sceptical/curious as to how such a conclusion might be
>drawn from experiment.
>
>Are you just paraphrasing or summing up Kitcher and/or Taylor in the
>second sentence above or is there other data?

Let's see, in http://hanson.gmu.edu/deceive.pdf I say "self-deceivers have
more self-esteem and less psychopathology, especially less depression
(Paulhus 1986)", citing:

Paulhus, Delroy L. "Self-deception and Impression Management in Test
Questionnaires. New York, NY: Springer, 1986, 143-165.

That should give you more detail on how such conclusions can be drawn.

Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323