[extropy-chat] question on deism

Ned Late nedlt at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 14:31:51 UTC 2005

Is deism in the category of atheism?
A tip: it works to respond to believers that you believe in your own personal God, which is basically the truth. If you're an attorney then respond you believe in the attorney God; if you're a real estate or insurance agent, then respond that you believe in the 6.5% commission God, or whatever you want.
If you're gay, say you believe in the gay God. Why waste your time with believers?

 >The question is not, do you believe in God.
>The question is, what, in your mind, is the probability that God exists?
>Presumably, religious believers would give this a high value. Atheists
>would give it a low value. And agnostics, perhaps, would be somewhere
>in between.

But is this right? Is the only difference between atheists and agnostics
the numerical estiamte they would give for the probability that God
exists? Or is there something else about this difference, something
qualitative which Bayesian probability reasoning doesn't capture?

This analysis brings up another point as well. If someone asks you,
"What is the probability that God exists?" you may well answer, "Define
God." There are many notions of God in the literature, and some are
more probable than others. There may even be as many notions of God
as there are people; or even more, for our conceptions of God probably
change from time to time. Until you know which concept of God they are
asking about, you can't give a meaningful answer to the probability of
his existence.

Hal