[extropy-chat] like definition

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 16:01:10 UTC 2005

Ian, these are examples of like being used as a speech
filler, as teens often do.  The sentences below can have
the likes surgically removed without changing their meaning.
The insight I had was from listening to highly articulate
and intelligent like-sayers.

In 1984 newspeak, Orwell suggested that we replace
the descriptions of degree with a single word and
its negative.  His example was good, double plus
ungood, etc.

Like is another example of a possible improvement
of newspeak:  replace phrases denoting
exactness with like.  So like means less exact, and
I suppose double plus like could mean way less exact.
It is not clear to me how to specify more exact, using
the base word like.  What is the opposite of like, in
the common usage?

spike