[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline: meme map

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 8 17:19:06 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> All else being equal, this world applies steady
> pressure against anti-science, anti-technology meme
> systems.  In the long run, scientifically and
> technologically
> advanced societies and individuals eventually
> prosper more than their retro counterparts.
> Generation
> after generation of children grow up and see.

I know, I know.  But I'm impatient.  ;)

Besides, I've also been worrying about, with
increasing life spans, the impact of extremely
long-lived people who nevertheless are dead set
against the very technology that literally saves their
lives, except for their own personal use.  Not
because they're greedy and want everyone else to die,
even if that's the conclusion many others will come
to, but simply because they think the tech is immoral
and accept their use of it as a personal moral failing
they'll deal with "someday", which in practice turns
out to be only after their lives are no longer being
extended.

And then there's resistance to developing the tech in
our own lifetimes.  (Yeah, I want to live forever too.
But I wouldn't mind most other people getting the same
benefit, and I certainly don't classify the desire to
live - even if one has already had a long and full
life - as immoral.)