[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 09:19:31 UTC 2005

--- Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Quick observation on Mike's belief statement; classic position for a
> guy who likes to argue about stuff but wants to be able to squirm out
> of criticism; he goes for the least definite position (saying he
> actually has no position, waiting for more evidence), while waving
> his
> hands about how atheism is probably crap (but he's not going to
> actually stand behind that statement, it's just useful because it's
> more likely to attract replies than if he said Theism was crap in
> this forum).

I do have to contest this, because I have frequently made clear that I
see most, if not all, of previously human authored theisms to be as
equally crappy as atheism. That nobody HERE was sensistive enough about
such a statement to notice I was being an equal opportunity crapper is
not my fault, but an illustration of list bias.

> He makes vague references to the Drake equation (which proves
> nothing at all, it's just a framework for thinking about the
> possibility of alien life without providing any of the constants),
> and
> the Simulation Argument, without saying why he finds it meaningful.
> Just the usual mudslinging and "look at me! look at me!" posting.

Generally I get docked on this list for being too absolutist and
definite about my positions, so your statement here is hardly
consistent with the facts.

I have demonstrated that the Drake Equation can be expanded to cover an
entire universe as a means of estimating the odds of how many posthuman
civilizations would exist in the entire life of the average universe.
This is an important estimating tool in the Simulation Argument in
answering the argument, because it demonstrates that if the average
universe is likely to have more than one posthuman civ in its entire
history, then the infinite nesting of universes occurs and odds we live
in a sim become near certain. For there to be only 50% odds either way,
the average posthuman civs per universe must equal 1 AND sim universes
must not be able to simulate universes, AND posthuman civs must only
run an average of 1 civ sim in their entire history.

Why is it important whether we live in a sim or not: if we live in a
sim, then there is the possibility of life beyond the sim, and of life
beyond the sim for those who were born in the sim. Reconciling this
issue I think is of immense importance in reconciling transhumanism
with the theist majority, such that we are able to construct a
constructive, productive, and peaceful future, and not one riven by
transhuman/luddite strife and misery.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com