[extropy-chat] Good application of GMO

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Mar 10 19:48:21 UTC 2005

At 01:05 PM 3/10/2005 -0600, Max wrote:

>Scientists hope to augment conventional public health measures with
>genetically modified insects and bacteria. They want to use the
>“sterile-insect technique” to combat Chagas’ disease ­ but will
>governments mouthing the precautionary principle allow the release of
>these genetically modified bugs?

I'm pretty sure the general attitude will be: better the (limited) devil we
know--and besides, it's happening *there* not *here*--than the (perhaps
catastrophic and relentlessly, unstoppably advancing) devil we don't. How
can anyone assure people that the unknown devil will *not* be catastrophic?
Very difficult...

Damien Broderick