[extropy-chat] good news for women

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Mar 11 23:08:46 UTC 2005

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,12519357,00.html

Fetal test takes needle blues away
Clara Pirani, Medical reporter
12mar05

SCIENTISTS have developed an alternative test to the amniocentesis
procedure which means older women will be able to avoid one of the most
invasive and stressful moments of pregnancy.

A routine Pap smear taken at six weeks' gestation can detect the same fetal
abnormalities - such as cystic fibrosis and Down syndrome - as an
amniocentesis.

Australian researchers believe the Pap smear using DNA technology can
replace the diagnostic procedure that is performed by inserting a hollow
needle through the abdominal wall into the uterus at 18 weeks.

The new test also avoids the 1 per cent risk of miscarriage the
amniocentesis procedure carries. "It's certainly less frightening for women
than having a big needle inserted into their belly," lead researcher Ian
Findlay said.

"This test is really going to revolutionise pre-clinical diagnosis as we
know it," said Professor Findlay, chief scientific officer at Gribbles
Molecular Science in Brisbane.

"It has several advantages because it's done at six weeks instead of the
amniocentesis that is done at 18 weeks.

"It's been tried on several hundred women over the last year, with 100 per
cent accuracy."

Last year, about 9000 women in Australia had an amniocentesis, which is
recommended for pregnant women over the age of 35.

Professor Findlay's test, which can be performed by a GP, uses DNA
fingerprinting to screen fetal cells taken during Pap smears. "Women living
in remote and regional towns won't need to go to a major city for the test
because the GP can do the test ... and you can get the results back in 24
hours."

Professor Findlay said the DNA technology was discovered about 20 years ago
but had never been applied to fetal cells.

"We're hoping that we can launch the service by the middle of this year,
but that will depend on getting the many more samples for this clinical
trial."

Melbourne IVF chairman John McBain said the procedure was a breakthrough in
clinical testing.

"This is absolutely original, groundbreaking work.

"There's no risk of fetal loss and it's done very early."