[extropy-chat] unidirectional thrust

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Mar 14 19:53:26 UTC 2005

At 11:06 AM 3/14/2005 -0800, Hal wrote:

>If the gadget starts going forward and there's nothing else that starts
>going backward, by definition that violates conservation of momentum,
>right?  If this thing starts out stationary in empty space, and you turn
>it on and after a while it is moving, then its momentum has changed.
>Unless there's something else moving in the opposite direction, as with
>a rocket, you are violating conservation of momentum.

Every time metal starts spinning when you switch an electromagnet on and
off, you are making something move that was stationary. I assume the equal
and opposite force goes into the magnet which is bolted to the floor and
hence doesn't move because the entire earth takes up the impact. (I do
realize this is physics 001 territory.) For the same reason, I assume
nobody would wish to be cushioning a rail gun against his shoulder when he
switches it on. Or am I missing something elementary here?

Damien Broderick [still not a physicist]