[extropy-chat] Cryonics on Boston Legal

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Mon Mar 14 21:15:31 UTC 2005

The episode was an interesting rehash of David E. Kelley's last pass at
this topic, in "The Good Human Bar" episode of L. A. Law, aired 4 Jan 1990.
There's a partial transcript at

http://www.alcor.org/cryonics/cryonics9002.txt

and discussion of what we'd thought of it at the time.

Both treatments were sympathetic, but it's sad to see that 15 years later,
Kelley still felt he had to write the same court outcome. At least the new
one refers to "cryonics," instead of "cryogenics."

Brian Atkins wrote:

>It is only an issue (in all states I think) if you want to pick your own
>time and method of death like the character in the episode wanted. If you
>wait the whole process out until you die naturally then that makes the
>state happy.

Except that the state reserves the right to negate your suspension wishes
by autopsy, a procedure that won't leave much intact to suspend. You can
reduce the likelihood of an autopsy through pre-mortem action, but you
can't eliminate the threat altogether.

-- David Lubkin.