[extropy-chat] unidirectional thrust

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Mon Mar 14 23:58:52 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- Hal Finney <hal at finney.org> wrote:
>

>>Mike Lorrey writes:

>>see

>>some

>>or

>>>You aren't supposed to see it, it is a field effect.
>>>

>>I'm not supposed to see something moving at relativistic speeds, we
>>agree?
>>Do you or don't you think that relativistic effects are present here?
>>

>I think that if you argue that Mach's principle, that inertia is caused
>by the gravity of all the mass in the universe acting forward in time
>then back again to the instant you accelerate something, and since it
>has been shown that electromagnetic and electrostatic fields can effect
>the speed of light (and thus the passage of time) it follows that an
>asymmetric electrostatic field could cause a differential in the effect
>of inertia and thus create a sort of field tractor effect, in which
>such a device is using the mass of the entire universe as a reaction
>mass, via the field effect.

I severely doubt that, even more if the fields are static.
The best argument I have seen for such a device is that of Woodward,
which does not seem to have gone anywhere.
At the time I tried to test his theory by two different methods and
failed. Seems even he has conceded that his initial positive results
were experimental error (other sites)
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/bpp/summ.htm

If you are interested in less prestigious stuff there's always
http://www.keelynet.com/gravity/sk1.htm

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-