[extropy-chat] unidirectional thrust

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 04:26:07 UTC 2005

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:
> Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> >Yes it would. He is also using bogus high thrust numbers and several
> >other errors that come from the fact he is hopelessly stuck in a
> >Newtonian mind frame (along with his fascist politics).
> >
> Ah... the ad hominem.
> I think that signals the close of the discussion.

Oh Waaah. You've hardly been a font of civility.

Here's some more for you:
"The mazimum rate of conversion will occur for real a(sub o) when v=0.
At zero velocity the conversion rate is Ymax = a(0)C and no conversion
is possible at v - c. This means that no charge particles can be
created that have velocities v -c. The result is that infinities
arising in self-energy calculations, corresponding to infinite kinetic
energy sof r virtual particles are avoided."

As for the Dean Drive, imagine this astronomical anamoly:

"An interesting effect that may find use in propulsion is that theories
with (a(3) +Epsilon(2)) |=| 0 predict that the center of mass of a
binary system may self accelerate in the direction of the system's
periastron. This acceleration has been given by Will(20) as:

a = (pi*m1*m2(m1-m2)e/(Pm^3.2*a^3/2*(1-e)^3/2))(x3-Epsilon2)n

where n is a unit vector directed from the center of mass to the point
of periastron of m(most distant part of orbit). Current experiments
place an upper limit on x3 as <2*10^-5 and a weak limit of Epsilon2 as
<100. There is no fully developed theory with Epsilon2 |=|0."

The paper proposes testing this with observations of binary pulsar PSR
1913+16, looking at the period and Doppler shift of the pulsar binary
or other suitable pair for an extended time of a few decades.

It could also be possible to test this by observing thermoelectric
potentials in gravity fields (such as the Earth-Moon pair), that could
explain the Earth's electromagnetic field accurately as an artifact of
tidal drag.

"The goal of an advanced propulsion unit is to achieve the maximum
integrated thrust over the life of the mission. Since chemical and
nuclear systems are rapidly reaching their theoretical mamimum
performance values any advanced system must perform in ways that exceed
such assumed theoretical limits to performance. Just as engineers must
continually "push the envelope" in development we must push the
theoretical envelop in the hope of locating where advances may be made.

The limits to most propulsion systems can be traced to our present
understanding of the physical conservation laws. These laws are the
foundations of modern physics and cannot belightly discarded. Instead
we must come to an understanding as to their theoretical origins before
we can hope to find ways around them. They are normally never
questioned but instead assumed 'a priori'. The only successful attempts
to derive the conservation have been by symmetry studies and it is
there that we must turn for our investigation. We later see that if the
symmetry of a system can be broken there may be a theoretical rationale
to consider departures from the familiar conservation laws."

With respect to conservation of momentum:
"The conservation of momentum for an isolated system depends on the
homogeneity of space. Consider a region in space removed from other
objects. Now enclose the region with a box and conduct a virtual
displacement of the box (transform space coordinates with delta t = 0).
There is no experiment confined to the box that can reveal its new
location without making references outside the box."

This explains why a propulsion device that reacts agains the entire
universe cannot be said to violate traditional conservation of momentum
equations, because it is impossible to reveal conservation references
between original and new locations of 'the box' and the experiment
inside without making reference to a point outside the universe. This
was demonstrated by Emmy Noether wrt points in space and the principle
is extended to momentum.

"Conservation of momentum is seen to be intimately related to the
symmetry of space. This will be valid as long as space is homogenous or
the system is totally isolated. if the system is near an external
object then homogeneity islost and momentum can be 'relayed' ebtween
the objects (for example, gravity assisted spacecraft trajectory
techniques). Also if material or radiation are absorbed or emitted by
the region, momentum can be altered (for example, photon, EM systems)."

Note, that in the gedankenexperiment of a hypotehtical solar powered
electric spacecraft being discussed previously, momentum is altered
specifically by the absorption of photon radiation, just as with a
Bussard Ramjet, momentum is altered by the absorption of cosmic
hydrogen, its fusion and emission. Thus the ramjet suffers from the
same issues of claimed over-unity performance as Dirk claims about my
proposals. Both spacecraft are limited by relativity.

Furthermore, Cravens notes that the assumed isotropy of space is wrong,
thus calling conservation of angular momentum into question. Microwave
studies show a small anisotopy in the radiation background of about 1%
departure. Being in our local galaxy also shows that our local space is
not isotropic, with a net angular momentum in reference to the
observable distant galaxies. This is thus a distinguishable axis.

He shows that given this, by least action, m(r*r1)=r*mv=L, so the total
angular momentum is a constant. only if the center of mass is at rest
with respect ot the origin that angular momentum will be independent of
the point of reference.

While it is very difficult to determine absolute time, position, or
velocity, absolute rotation is quickly determined, ergo departing from
conservation of angular momentum is possible, and space symmetry is
easily broken.

Nor is conservation of parity valid, as Feynman helped prove, and the
Co-60 beta decay experiment demonstrated that emission is biased to the
spin axis of the nucleus but not in both directions. He shows that em
energy terms like H^2 and E^2 are scalars by E*H are pseudovectors and
conservation doesn't apply in all cases.

Cravens clearly states conditions for circumventing conservation
theorems, where such attempts should involve two or more fundamental
forces, posess broken symmetry (odd parity), involve the use of
pseudovectors, or aling the axis of broken symmetry with inversion
characteristics of the pseudovector.

"The conservation of angular momentum is a deep-seated physical
principle of great use. It can be shown that, although energy and
linear momentum are true tensors, both parity and angular momentum are
pseudotensors. Angular momentum is thus not required to be conserved
under inversions and in non-inertial reference frames. Careful high
accuracy experiments are needed to be undertaken to check the validity
of angular momentum conservation since it apparently stands as a
separate postulate.

The conservation theorems are at the very heart of modern physical
theories. The conservation of charge, energy, linear momentum, angular
momentum, isospin, etc are oftent the tools to show reason and utility
among competing theories. Often they are treated as unassailable but
occasionally a return to the foundations leads to unexpected revision
of theories."

Cravens seems to have learned the same lesson I did from Feynman: go
back to first principles and question the validity or accuracy of them
based on new evidence. Cravens questions whether angular momentum
should be treated any different from parity. Because angular momentum
is a pseudotensor and not a real tensor, then relativity  may not apply
to it.

"In fact the cross product of any two true vectors is a pseudovector.
The difference between the two kinds of vectors can be seen in improper
rotation or in pure inversions of cooordinate systems. Consider:

C = A * B

where

Ci = Aj*Bk-Ak*Bi

Upon an inversion of the coordinate system, both A and B change sign
which means C does not change sign. The entire cross product changes
sign as we go from a right hand to a left hand coordinate system. The
angular momentum of a particle is usually expressed as the cross
product of the particle's momentum p with the radius vector r from the
origin:

L = p*r

and by convention we use a right hand rule to determine the sign of the
pseudovector. In fact, a series of infinitesimal rotations can be
expressed only by pseudovectors, but finate rotations cannot be
expressed in that form. Thus, angular momentum can be expressed only as
a pseudovector. Often complex systems cannot be expressed as
pseudovectors owing to the noncommunitivity of finite rotations....

... For example, if a force is velocity dependent both space (real) and
time (imaginary) components can enter the transformation leading to
inversion-like effects....."

CONDITIONS FOR NONCONSERVATION

Emmy Noether said conservation of energy could be recovered  verifying
that the action integral was dependent only on relative time
differences and not absolute time. Ergo, you must have symmetry of time
to get conservation of energy. Conservation of linear momentum depends
on homogeneity of space and angular momentum on isotropy of space.

Conservation of energy depends on homogeneity of time.

STRING THEORY:

Ten dimensional string theories readily compactify into 5-D space,
while they are hard to get into 4 dimensions.

MACHS PRINCIPLE

Here Cravens agrees with me: " [according to Newton] Essentially, the
inertial forces on a particle arise from an interaction of the particle
with the rest of the matter in the Universe....

There is much controversy over the precise formulation of the Mach
principle within general relativity. It is even questionable whether or
not general relativity is compatible with the concept. Sometime the
principle is used to set boundary conditions. Somtimes for entirely new
formulation of relativity. This has led to confusion." He goes on to
provide some bi-metric formulations to describe Einstein's predictions.

EXPERIMENTS:
"Veritay Technology, Inc. has been conducting research under the SBIR
program for the USAF (AF87-192). The goal is to verify an to quantify
the conversion of electrostatic energy directly ito propulsive force in
vacuum experiments. They ahve approached the problem by using charged
capacitors as did Brown in hsi original work. They ahve tried to
isolate the effect from ion winds by placing an asymmetric capacitor
within a vacuum. Further they have studied the effect as a function of
pressur within their vacuum chambvers. They worked over a range of
pressure from 10 torr to 10^-1 torr and voltages up to 1.5 kilovolts.
Below 1 torr the forces were seen to be independent of the pressures.
The force upon the capacitor was found to be F= 3.55x10^-8 V^0.722,
where F is the force expressed in newtons and V is the voltage in
kilovolts. The input power of 0.4 milliwatt generated a thrust of 10^-7
newton for a thrust to power ratio of 2.5 x 10^-4 newton/watt (56
micropound per watt)."

Within the Dynamic Theory, a divergence in charge current flow is
required to produce a flow in mass. This thus requires a current flow
to produce a propulsive force, i.e. a torsion bar experiment on a
vertical axis needs pulsed power, not static DC to produce thrust via
the 5-D theory. The weakness of this test is that it is capable of
seeing impulses but not changes in inertial mass, which requires a
horizontal axis.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com