[extropy-chat] Re: Agreement on technical matters

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Mar 18 13:43:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 12:05:49AM +1100, Brett Paatsch wrote:

> If we could get a idea futures market up and make cryonics the subject
> of an appropriately worded bet on it, then there would be a motivating
> reason for people to bring in evidence to try to move the market price
> in the direction of their opinion and so profit by doing so.
>
> Do you see that?

How many implicit ifs are in above sentence? It's far easier to raise funds
by talking to the right people. (Before you ask, I don't know any right
people, and I really suck at selling).

Don't let above deter anyone, though. Rehashing Suda with a modern
vitrification procedure shouldn't be that hard and/or expensive.

> > There is no identity problem. Most people can't follow the argument line,
> > though.
>
> If you are right then perhaps it would be a relatively trivial matter to get a
> third-party judging organisation to judge the validity of the lines of
> reasoning in logical arguments presented.

Who are you proposing for a third party, and why should that party be able to
follow the argument line? It's not as if just being smart is enough. People
have beliefs, and most of people can't extrapolate very far beyond these
beliefs.

It's enough to just deny what you've shown in robots (experimentally!)
applies to people. Because people, you know, are pink and squishy. It's just
animism in a modern guise.

How do you argue with animists? You don't. It's a waste of time.

> Keith notes that "simply reviewing what has already been said about
> the topic just since it started being discussed on the net would take
> much more than a normal human life span."

Not really, the old archives are mostly gone. I think it might be something
like a week to come up with a really good query, and go through hits, tops.

> Only what is logically essential matters for the purposes of judgement.
> Given a market, the best arguments pro and con might be distilled
> from the noise by those wishing to influence the price.

And if wishes were like horses, we'd always have a nice dead one to flog.

Really. If you need real money you need to do real work talking to people.