[extropy-chat] let's say

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 18:34:05 UTC 2005

I'm cynical, nevertheless a cynic can be correct on some occasions. liberty is desirable, libertarianism is a valid construct-- but no more than that. We pursue self-ownership however few attain it, someone always owns a piece of the overwhelming majority of us. Even if the piece is very small it is like a small piece of turd in a punch bowl, we instinctively rebel against the thought of it no matter how small the piece may be. So except for the very few we're donkeys chasing the carrot-on-a-stick of self ownership.
The very few, the justifiably proud , are a small number who do own themselves and do pursue or possess true liberty: sovereign individuals with billions to enable them to elude the clutches of others. So when you here obtain billions you can write on this list, "I own myself and can pursue liberty to my heart's content". I now respect and harbor no ill will towards the very wealthy, I'd rather wave hello to them as they pass by in their limousines than have any contact with the vengeful rabble in the street.
Above all, time becomes more valuable than anything else because no matter how well you take care of yourself you can always die in an accident. No one can predict the future, predictions are a construct as well. Let's not take our predictions or ourselves too seriously. Whatever the future might hold, you & I might not be around.

Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

--- Dirk Bruere wrote:
> Mike Lorrey wrote:
> >--- Al Brooks wrote:
> >> Extropy errs on the side of individual freedom.
> >>
> >I don't believe it is possible to err in siding with individual
> >freedom.
> >
> And hence private ownership of WMDs is of no concern.
> Put me down for a few litres of VX and some anthrax powder.

There are many privately owned airliners in the world today. As 9-11
demonstrated, each and every one of them is a WMD. When do you start
lobbying for state ownership of all airliners?

When WMDs are outlawed, only outlaws will have WMDs. When those outlaws
control government, the people become slaves.

Mike Lorrey
-William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com