[extropy-chat] Engineered Religion (was Atheism in decline)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Mar 19 21:12:23 UTC 2005

On Mar 18, 2005, at 3:03 PM, john-c-wright at sff.net wrote:

> Joseph writes:
>
>> The theme of the engineered religion is actually approached in several
>> places in the Dune series. I note specifically the idea that the Bene
>> Gesserit seeded various worlds with messianic faiths that were
>> specifically tied to the appearance of Bene Gesserit Mothers (the
>> "Missionaria Protectiva"). ... The Bene Gesserit use the Missionaria
>> Protectiva
>> to spread contrived legends and prophecies to developing worlds. Bene
>> Gesserit
>> can exploit these legends to earn the respect of the native
>> inhabitants, who
>> believe in the contrived legends."
>
> My apologies for being unclear, but the point I found fascinating is
> that Mr.
> Herbert does not optimistically assume that the engineered religion
> would stay
> under the control of the engineers. The events in DUNE overwhelm the
> Bene
> Gesserit order, especially the Jihad that installs the God-Emperor.
> Their
> Missionaria Protectiva does not save them, it sows the seed from which
> the
> unexpected Messiah grows, the one man in the universe the sisterhood
> finds it
> cannot control.

No religion I know of, engineered or not,  has stayed under the control
of its founder or true to its initial vision.  Most of the
non-founders, especially after a generation or two, seem to enshroud,
mummify and dogmatize the form and lose touch with or never really
fully grasp the essence.  over time the layers of form even make the
essence much more difficult to obtain.

> The nanotechnology and superintelligent Jupiter-brains might also
> escape the
> control of their creators. Indeed, the whole transhumanist effort
> seems to be
> based on the idea that, as the Singularity approaches, it will slip
> from human
> control into the hands of a child-race of ours, astrononmically
> smarter than man.

If they did not escape the control of lesser minds that would be a
great misfortune in my view.

> Like all good parents, we must instruct our children in the basic
> rules of
> morality, lest they become monsters and turn on us. My question then
> becomes:
> what religion do we teach the intelligent machines in the early days,
> before
> they are independent? Do we want them all to be athiests, impatient and
> uncomprehending of the spiritual life of man?

Perhaps the question could be more properly put as how we
teach/lead/enable such creations to understand the things at the
original heart of religions.  Trying to teach them some largely dead
mass of entombing layers extruded over generations hardly seem useful.

> We could make them open-minded agnostics, not believing in anything in
> particular, but this might make them prey to fads and lunacies. (No
> offense
> meant to respected agnostic brethren, but it is state of mind where the
> wondering of man finds no rest. Athiests, at least, are certain.)

I do not think that agnostics are more prone to such things than those
who are more credulous.

> My suggestion, of course, is to school them in a religion that
> preaches and
> practices charity to the poor, the kindness to the infirm and chivalry
> to the
> weak. That way, once they become our superiors, they will have a
> better nature
> to which to appeal.

Then certainly do not teach them Christianity as actually practiced by
the majority of its leaders and followers throughout its history!

- samantha