[extropy-chat] Transhumanism and Ayn Rand

Joseph Bloch jbloch at humanenhancement.com
Sun Mar 20 03:39:37 UTC 2005

While manning a Transhumanism exhibitor table at a science fiction
convention (LunaCon) today, someone made an interesting point during one
of many very interesting discussions I've had this weekend.

This person pretty much agrees with the goals of Transhumanism. He's
signed up for cryonic suspension, is on a LE regimine, and has a PhD in
artificial intelligence, contemplating a move into biomechanical
interfacing. He buys into the idea that we should use technology to
improve ourselves. He just doesn't like the term "Transhumanism" (and
he's very familiar with it).

What struck me was his reason. He, being an afficianado of Ayn Rand, is
very much taken by what he called "man-worship", and he claims that that
is contrary to the idea that we should and can surpass humanity,
aspiring to being Post-Human.

Not being all that familiar with Objectivism, I thought I'd toss that
out here for comment. I honestly didn't know how to respond to that
argument, not being an Objectivist myself, but I figured there might be
more than a few here, and I put it to y'all to hash out (assuming it
means anything at all...).

Joseph

Enhance your body "beyond well" and your mind "beyond normal":
http://www.humanenhancement.com

New Jersey Transhumanist Association:
http://www.goldenfuture.net/njta