[extropy-chat] bidirectional thrust

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 19:29:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:21:48 +0100, scerir <scerir at libero.it> wrote:
> The problem is, however, that inertia (as a reaction force
> to acceleration, or rotation) occurs at the same moment
> that acceleration, or rotation, is applied to the
> specific object. Thus, Mach principle should imply
> a sort of instantaneous back-reaction propagating field,
> from the distant stars to the specific object, involving
> superluminal velocities. (As Hal was, perhaps, meaning).

I thought general relativity agreed with that idea, though, in the
form of frame dragging? So if a spaceship is trying to accelerate, the
presence of massive objects nearby will increase the spaceship's
effective inertia (unless they're moving/accelerating in the direction
the ship is trying to go)?

- Russell