[extropy-chat] Live Higher & Longer ?

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 20 03:55:27 UTC 2005

--- The Avantguardian wrote:

> Another factor one should consider to explain this
> correlation is that the lower air pressure at higher
> elevations reduces the amount of oxygen available to
> the body for use. Over time this would increase its
> efficiency at respiration. This in turn would
> probably reduce oxidative stress on bio-molecules
> (DNA, proteins, lipids/membranes, etc). Less oxygen
> tension in blood = less free radicals generated
> during respiration.

 A very-quick search on PubMed.com found what might be
supporting evidence for your hypothesis. Research
seems to show that low oxygen extends the lifespan of
cells, and short-duration high oxygen (hyperoxia) also
extends cell lifespan. The former effect is proposed
to be due to reduced oxygen toxicity, the latter
effect (I guess) might be attributed to hormesis (as
is the case with low-dose radiation), which is where a
sufficiently low dose of some toxin is said to trigger
a defensive reaction in an organism that exceeds the
actual toxic effect thereby producing a net
improvement in health. Some cites:

Exp Cell Res (1995): "Human diploid fibroblasts [...]
from a subject with Werner syndrome, a premature aging
disease, which are known to have reduced replicative
potential in vitro, also showed 43% increase in life
span under the lowest oxygen conditions."
http://calorierestriction.org/pmid/?n=7698226

Ann N Y Acad Sci (2002): "The life spans under high
and low oxygen concentrations were shorter and longer,
respectively, than those under normoxic conditions. [
And ] Short-term exposure to high oxygen concentration
lengthens the life span."
http://calorierestriction.org/pmid/?n=11976220

Br J Haematol (1982): "The effects of GSH and low
oxygen tension are interpreted as causing a reduction
in oxygen toxicity of the cells, thereby increasing
the life span in vitro and so increasing the number of
cells capable of forming colonies."
http://calorierestriction.org/pmid/?n=7138788

Exp Hematol (1986): "All hemopoietic progenitor cells
(CFU-mix, BFU-E, CFU-E, and CFU-GM) investigated
showed enhanced colony growth at lower oxygen
tension."
http://calorierestriction.org/pmid/?n=3770101

Mech Ageing Dev (2002): "We found that daily
short-term exposure (3 h) to hyperoxia further
extended the life span."
http://calorierestriction.org/pmid/?n=12470895

Those links should transfer you to PubMed. If they
don't, simply copy the PMID number and paste it into
the search field at http://pubmed.com.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hormesis

http://IanGoddard.net