[extropy-chat] Boycott National Geographic

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 20 23:51:53 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Lorrey
> Subject: [extropy-chat] Boycott National Geographic
>
> I ... recognise what a great resource the National Geographic Society
> is, and has been over the years...

Roger that.

> ...(no, Spike, the nude native girls are only an occasional feature)...

Ja I noticed that!  They got all culturally sensitive on us
and quit running those photos that bring back such fond
memories of my childhood!  Younger people today who have
such easy access to so much material will never understand.

> This year, NG has a new rule that bans all homeschooled children from
> the Geography Bee competition. This is not just prejudiced, bigoted,
> and discriminatory, it is a violation of the 14th amendment...

Seems like we should be able to use this to promote home
schooling.  My two nieces were home schooled as well as the five
children of my closest friend.  It doesn't surprise me a bit
that they do well in NG competitions and SATs, because these
students receive a highly *concentrated* education, a *focused*
education.  There is not the need to hold back the better students
in order to promote equality for all students, even at the
expense of excellence.  There is not the constant pressure to
promote self esteem, even at the expense of excellence.

It doesn't surprise me that NG would see the need to exclude
home schooled students either: they have too much of an advantage.
If allowed to compete, good chance that home schooled students
would eventually take home most of the trophies.

This is all so ironic, since National Geographic is a big
part of the curriculum for many of the home schooled.