[extropy-chat] Suitcase nukes (was: let's say)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Mar 21 03:14:24 UTC 2005

The long and the short of it is this:

1) The Soviet Union had some forms of mini-nukes, just like the US.
2) These particular types of nuclear devices require frequent and technically difficult
maintenance to stay functional by nature.

Even if we posit that someone stole the mini-nukes in the '90s, the devices as stolen would
already be relatively inert in all likelihood.  The only real possibility that I can see for use of
such devices now would be to use them as a source of raw fissile material that could be
reprocessed into a more conventional big nuke.

j. andrew rogers