[extropy-chat] Science and Fools

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Mon Mar 21 13:24:36 UTC 2005

At 12:57 AM 3/21/2005, Chris Hibbert wrote:
>>How can you justify disagreeing with people who have studied these
>>topics in great detail, just because progress hasn't been rapid?
>
>But I think the relevant characteristic of these stagnant fields is that
>there's still disagreement among the experts, and while there may have
>been sound and fury, it doesn't seem to have led to a settled
>consensus.  If a reasonable amount of effort indicates that experts
>disagree, then the uninformed baysian can't know which expert to believe
>without investing the time to become an expert.

Rapidly progressing and slowly progressing fields both have many areas of
agreement and many areas of disagreement.  When the experts disagree you
have the option to either take the side with one set of experts, or to take
an intermediate position of uncertainty between the various expert group
positions.  The first choice is a choice to disagree, but perhaps not as
problematic as choosing to disagree with experts when those experts mostly
disagree with each other.

Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323