[extropy-chat] Science and Fools

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Mon Mar 21 13:40:59 UTC 2005

As I just said to Chris:
>When the experts disagree you have the option to either take the side with
>one set of experts, or to take an intermediate position of uncertainty
>between the various expert group positions.  The first choice is a choice
>to disagree, but perhaps not as problematic as choosing to disagree with
>experts when those experts mostly disagree with each other.

Hal continued:
>Are you saying that there should be no difference in how you weight
>the information about consensus in a field of study, based on how
>much progress the field has made, and how accurate it has been in
>the past?  Or how would you incorporate that kind of information?

When considering whether to disagree with someone, you must try to infer
their information, analysis, and rationality relative to you.   There are
many things that might give you clues about these things, but most of these
clues are rather weak.  The recent rate of progress in a field is a rather
weak clue about the analytical ability and rationality of the people in the
field.  When the field has a consensus, and you are considering disagreeing
with it, the evidence is usually strong that they have a lot more
information than you.  So in this situation it is hard to see how the rate
of progress would make that much difference.

Much more relevant, I think, would be clues about whether some group of
experts would happily lie to you and to themselves to get paid.  Salesman
often know a lot more than you about their products, but that doesn't mean
you should just believe them.  Similar skepticism could often be reasonable
about the expert advise of astrologers, therapists, and doctors.

Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323