[extropy-chat] health #1; freedom #2

Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Mon Mar 21 15:58:03 UTC 2005

The area  I inhabit is a  value chain encompassing agriculture ,
including medicine
and involving legal restrictions one part of society places on other
parts.....I  deal  with this issue daily.
Complex plant based quasi-food , Quasi-medcine produced by a variety of
means some very simple
some enormously complex are an area where money and health meet.  Laws
come into this
as much to "protect stupid humans from the stupidity of others" as to
create monetary turf
from which to fund science-based medicines produced via plant based
bioreactors.

One area that  really shows the issue in action is the cannabis area.
Here we have a plant regulated by  laws drafted 50 years ago as much for
economic competition reasons as what little science was known then.

Then the ironic twist is  that truth has become stranger than fiction
and the
plant based chemistry of cannabis is capable to be transformed into a
bioreactor
capable of producing a real cornocopea of pharmaceutical bio-products.

Poor citizens with knowledge but either unable or unwilling to trade
money for
these bioproducts are prevented access.
The financial success of the bio-business depends upon restricting free
access to the
technology of production , in this case by very draconian laws.

Where this ties to the discussion is that the bio-based production model
of cannabis meds is a model for benchmarking  the economic-social
struggle all future
plant based bioreactor species are following.

Eliminating the social benefits of generification  becomes a legal
conspiracy.

The problem is that each disjoint party is looking out for #1 without
any regard for any reasonable socioeconomic balance.

Worse than this, politicians are out of their league in dealing with
societal overarching regulations on the matter.

So health, freedom and money can make for nasty bedfellows.

Morris Johnson

Technotranscendence wrote:

>How do you stay healthy if, e.g., you give up freedom?  Imagine the case
>where, as might happen in the EU with supplements, certain health
>technologies are banned?
>
>However, I think this is all pitting values against one another.  For
>me, freedom is probably the #1 _social_ value because it makes so many
>other such values possible.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Dan
>    See "Free Market Anarchism: A Justification" at:
>http://uweb.superlink.net/~neptune/AnarchismJustified.html

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.