[extropy-chat] Suitcase nukes (was: let's say)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 05:47:24 UTC 2005

--- "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

> I agree that uranium is a poor model for plutonium exposure, but
> thorium
> makes a pretty good analog and that too has been dumped en masse and
> there are significant studies of thorium particulate exposure.

You are comparing apples and atom bombs. Plutonium is considered the
most toxic substance to humans. Estimates are that one ounce evenly
distributed amongst the entire populace of the US would kill everyone
(though this estimate was done back when I was a kid, when US
population was around 200 million, and I have doubts about the accuracy
of that, as I heard it from one of my science teachers in HS, who was a
notorious anti-nuker). Thorium is a far far less toxic substance.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com