[extropy-chat] Public Transportation (was suitcase nukes)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 01:11:03 UTC 2005

--- MB <mbb386 at main.nc.us> wrote:

> Speaking of the Geo, what has happened with gas mileage? Why does my
> 1989 Geo metro *still* get 45 mpg around town but there's no other
> car
> even close to it nowadays, unless I get some frightfully expensive
> hybrid? My Geo was an entry level vehicle when I bought it new and it
> has paid for itself so to speak, several times over in gas economy.
> When it was new it ran 55-60 mpg on the highway.
>
> Why are none of the little new cars getting that kind of mileage?
> IMHO they should be getting better mileage. After all, our technology
> should have improved, right?

The fuels have changed and crash standards have changed. Crash
standards have made vehicles heavier and there are anti-pollution
additives that degrade hp. Also, engine control computers are optimized
for power and emissions. There are three optimum points you can tune an
engine to to maximize any two of power, milage, and emissions. People
want power, the state wants low emissions. You are left picking up the
milage tab.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com