[extropy-chat] Public Transportation (was suitcase nukes)

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Thu Mar 24 15:34:34 UTC 2005

Agreed on all counts -

I appreciate my barometer reset on this issue - sorry to do it through
all your efforts.

It just seems ridiculous. People feel they require a vehicle with 5
times the output of the Wright flier to cart themselves to the same
place everyone else is going each day, when 60 hp would do it. I don't
deny them their individuality or their free will. It just seems like a
huge waste. I don't begrudge people who live deep on dirt roads or
mountainsides or suffer our ill-tempered infrastructure.

Here's me, however, sitting on the commuter rail everyday - the one who
actually reads the annual reports left on our seats each year - and
knows that his buying a pass is merely a "contribution" toward the cost
of my ridership - one quarter to be precise.

And the trains are usually packed 3 stops before the end of the line.
Something just doesn't seem right.

]3