[extropy-chat] The Transhuman fallacy - Dangerous, or merely a joke?

Steve Nichols steve at multisell.com
Fri Mar 25 12:14:00 UTC 2005

I have witnessed the ineffectual belief-system called "Trans-human"
since
its conception, and I have always struggled to decide whether it is just
harmless if pointless diversion - - or whether it is a potent force for
REACTION
and regression!
Either way, it cannot be claimed that transhumanism is in any way
RADICAL
or forward thinking. There is no change from the agenda of Italian
futurists of
the 1930's .. while events like MVT have changed the landscape of
knowledge
irretrievably.
What I argue is that by kicking any possibility for real advance (to a
new species)
into the long (500 year) grass, the transhumans and extropians are just
serving the
status quo, and are a force for inertia. Applauding new incremental
technological
advance is pure mainstream corporate America. More of the same to keep
society
exactly the same. They are in a mental comfort zone of "transition" to a
new state
as a mechanism for actually avoiding this transition at all costs!
I must assert the Law of Excluded Middle that maintains you can either
be HUMAN,
or not. After-human or posthuman is the alternative (unless you choose
to seek
regression to pre-human). This is quite clear. No sitting on an
imaginary
transitional fence. The INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION was the time of change -
not the
late C20th - as a species, industrial man bears little resemblance to
his forebears.
Our bones are D-shaped rather than O-shaped as skeletons were in the
past, so
future archaeology will clearly be able to identify us as POST-human,
even if some
of us currently have failed to notice!
More info: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6380890311

www.posthuman.org The Post human Movement - since 1980s