[extropy-chat] Public Transportation

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 14:26:40 UTC 2005

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The Geo can carry four very caloric restrictive adults, and little
> else.

What I mean by this is based on experience I have on the road. I drive
a 1987 Jeep Cherokee. I get about 20 mpg on the highway, which is
pretty darn good for a boxy suv with a straight 6 4.0L engine of that
decade. I carry in it, besides myself, a full spare tire (not one of
those sissy donuts), a 5,000 lb scissor jack (not those wimpy fake
jacks the factory issues), an electric air compressor, an electric
impact wrench, a tow rope, a set of chains, a complete tool set, a milk
crate full of all sorts of vehicular fluids and minor spare parts, a
shovel, road flares, a few 1-2 gallon gas cans, a full set of camping
equipment, fly fishing gear, a firearm or two, ammo, plus assorted
other pieces of equipment, books, etc. depending on the season.

As a result of being prepared, I frequently stop to help people driving
Geos and other Geo-eque-type vehicles broken down on the roadside
without a postage stamp to write home about it. Generally it is a
duct-taping of a radiator hose and some anti-freeze, or a patching of
their tire (because their spare is not in the car in order to make more
room). Once a very sharply dressed woman was shocked that I requested
she remove her silk stockings until she realized it was the only way to
temporarily replace her broken fan belt.

Who is externalizing on who, now? Particularly those who are offended
at the idea that it would be polite if I were to be paid for my
assistance.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com