[extropy-chat] Thoughts on Schiavo

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sat Mar 26 21:11:40 UTC 2005

From: "Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>

> Lets make one thing perfectly clear: Terri Schiavo's responsiveness is
> no less than the responsiveness of Stephen Hawking. Stephen just has a
> lot of high tech gizmos he's had years to learn to use to make himself
> useful in the world. Terri has been denied the same opportunities by
> her husband and remains in a condition that Stephen would be in today
> given a similar level of neglect.

I could not believe I was reading this from you, Mike.  Stephen Hawking's
*cognitive processes are very much alive*.  Terri Schiavo's *cognitive
processes are gone*, due to the fact that most of her brain has liquefied.
She has been (kept) alive due to activity from her brain stem.  Terri
Schiavo's "responses" are reflexive.  Unfortunately, "there is no there
there."

> Now, this being established ...

Please explain how your unfounded assertion has been established.

Olga