The benefits of more citizenships (was: [extropy-chat] META: Please)

Amara Graps Amara.Graps at ifsi.rm.cnr.it
Sun Mar 27 06:04:04 UTC 2005

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com :
>With all due respect for for your husband, getting a dual
>citizenship isn't going to make much of a difference in
>his life.

That is a very stupid statement. The citizenship listed on the
bureacratic papers that the government you are living
under holds for you determines most of the practicalities
in daily life.

if you can have (government-funded) medical care
if you can have (government-funded) education
if you can change jobs
if you can have your family with you
if you can adopt
if you can legally travel in and out of the country
if you can have a bank account
if you can own a car
if you can have a driver's license
if you can own property
if you can have a telephone
if you can have a residency and hence, lower-cost utilities:
phone, electricity, gas, etc. charges
if you can vote
if you can hold  a political office

These are just a few that I thought up in 30 seconds, I'm
sure that there are more, and my list will have
variations between what I'm familiar with in
Italy/Germany and what immigrants face in the U.S.

I say the more citizenships the better. That way national
bounderies disappear and humans' behavior befits that of
a global human. Nationalistic boundaries mostly create
impediments to our (humans') growth.

Amara