[extropy-chat] Re: Formulating a bet

Slawomir Paliwoda velvethum at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 29 02:36:53 UTC 2005

Hal wrote:
[What I had in mind, regarding the "substantially the same person" test
for a bet on cryonics success, was something like a modified Turing test.
We would pose questions and get responses from the person both before and
after the suspension. These could then be randomized and someone who did not
know which were which would try to distinguish the post-suspension responses
from the pre-suspension ones.  If they were not able to do so, then we'd say
that the personality and memories of the suspendee were substantially
intact.]

This tests nothing more than whether revived person has the same
memories and personality as the one who had signed up to be frozen. Is that
enough to determine whether a person, before and after suspension, is the
same? Definitely not.

For cryonics, the only test you'll ever need to determine whether revived
person is the same is to track space-time trajectory of matter implementing
his or her original mind instance.

I'm sorry but all this discussion about judges has been just silly. We're
not trying to pick a best song here, but take a series of measurements.

Unfortunately, 95% of people who talk about preservation of self don't even
understand the problem so the solution continues to mystify them.

Slawomir