[extropy-chat] Thoughts on Schiavo

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 18:59:38 UTC 2005

--- Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal at smigrodzki.org> wrote:

> were not
> Praise the

> > Tho Damien's post was mostly in jest, you can be sure
> > that creationists were delighted with the find.  For the
> > rest of our natural lives, we will hear creationists
> > mention this discovery as evidence that dinosaurs were
> > recent.
> >
> ### When I started googling about Mary Schweitzer, I found that her
> previous
> research about finding collagen in dino fossils elicited significant
> interest
> from the young-Earth creationists.
>
> I bet the recent findings made them wet their pants - "Squishy dino
> pieces
> preserved in fossils - now, every child knows that this means they
> couldn't be older than a few weeks, or else all would've rotted away!
> Hallelujah!"

Is she finding actual tissue, or just fossilized impressions of soft
tissue? Finding soft tissue fossil impressions is the new thing these
days.

If she's finding actual soft tissue sealed up inside rock, that is
interesting. Says wonderful things about those vacuum sealers you can
buy on QVC to preserve your leftovers.... if the location within the
rock has been arid the whole time and anoxic, why shouldn't tissue be preserved?

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com