[extropy-chat] That T-rex

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 13:49:23 UTC 2005

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
>   For
> > the
> > rest of our natural lives, we will hear creationists
> > mention this discovery as evidence that dinosaurs
> > were
> > recent.
>
> Creationist blather aside, when did the last dinosaur
> die? I mean I have heard theories that while most of
> the dinosaurs went extinct during the K-T boundary
> event (i.e. yucatan asteroid impact)some in more
> remote locations may have survived long enough to
> interact with our hominid ancestors supposedly giving
> rise to the dragon myths which amazingly seem to have
> arisen independently in numerous cultures. Some few
> say that there might still be dinosaurs in certain
> parts of the world e.g. Lochness and Lake Eyrie let
> alone more remote parts like jungles in Africa. I have
> not actually read the primary article in Science yet,
> did they actually date the fossil?

You mean things like Komodo Dragons, saltwater crocodiles, american
alligators, etc? The Komodo is a descendant of a Dragon that once
measured up to 9 meters even in prehistoric times, and earlier croc and
gator species were similarly much larger.

If any non-lizard dinos survived into the early Holocene, it would have
been aquatics like pliesiosaurs (sp?) which are what some claim Lock
Ness is if it exists. However, as ocean going creatures, they would
have run afoul of very large predators like Megalodon and a predecessor
to the Orca.

Keep in mind that there were hippos in the Thames around 5,000 BC,
there could easily have been lizard predators there as well.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com