[extropy-chat] Taiwan

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Thu Mar 31 14:28:22 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

>>(assuming, it

>>Singularity?
>>

>>>Looking at what's being cooked up in the labs now leads me to
>>>

>>believe
>>

>>>that Moore's Law (approximately) will continue beyond 15yrs.
>>>

>>Ok, it *does* look good; I wouldn't bet on it, though. There are some
>>unresolved issues (e.g. leak currents and power dissipation density),
>>and
>>Moore *will* have a discontinuity around 2012..2015,
>>unless molecular electronics is there just in time to take the torch.
>>

>I was under the impression we were going to shift to photonic circuits
>within 3-5 years. That alone is a huge reduction in size and power
>requirements. What gives?

We've been ready for that shift for all my working life ie at least 25yrs.
Here's a golden oldie - the transphasor (optical transistor), invented 1979
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0022-3735/15/1/004

And then we have all those miracle materials like GaAs that will speed
up computers by a factor of 10 etc...

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-