[extropy-chat] Democracy + Capitalism

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 22:38:01 UTC 2005

--- Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:

> Does anyone think that the democratic interconnected
> financial relations
> between nations could be a driving force behind
> advancing worldwide human
> rights?

      I think globalisation of western style
capitalist-democracy would advance some human rights
but not others. For example, it would further the
"right to life" since corpses make lousy consumers but
rights like "liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are
not neccesarily advanced. Especially if there is a
danger that the democracy is "fabricated". I saw a
great quote the other day somewhere: "he who casts a
vote has little power, he who counts the votes has
great power". I am still very spooked and mistrustful
of this whole Diebold paperless voting machine thing.
It seems ridiculous to me that we have open-source
operating system soft-ware like unix but the machines
that count our votes run on proprietary software
written by ultra-partisans.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson