[extropy-chat] Debate on Peak Oil

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 15:55:44 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK
> > ...European cities are still jammed full of cars. Traffic jams are
> permanent... BillK
>
> Oh man yes.  I was on a business trip in New York City last
> week, needed to pull over to program my GPS to get to
> JFK airport on Long Island (No big green signs anywhere to direct
> the clueless me.)

What? You didn't know you need to go through Brooklyn to get to JFK?
New York is easy, a freeway on the east and west shores, bridges to
everywhere.

> Looked for a parking lot, a Walmart or equivalent, something
> with a big lot so I could pull out of the way for a few minutes
> with no one nearby.  There are no Walmarts.  There is
> nothing analogous to the big empty parking lots where
> many of us learned how to drive a car the first time.  There
> was no place to go to get out of everyone's way.

Pahkin' garahges are where youse putch yer cahs.

> Looks to me like every city that was invented before
> the auto has painted itself into a corner.

Quite true, but a city with subways everywhere has little need of lots
of lots. Real estate is more valuable than that.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com