[extropy-chat] Oz State to ban bosses snooping on emails

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 5 01:52:41 UTC 2005

Interesting.

I wonder if employers would simply alter the employment agreements such that
accepting surveilance of email or the employers right to (contractually
rather than legally) would become a condition of employment.

This is an interesting issue because I can see both sides and so what will
ultimately decide what shakes out will be how people react politically.
Employers could have legitimate grounds for wanting to have some surveilance
capability in some circumstances.

The idea of providing with a job the necessary tools to do that job did not
traditionally automatically include giving employees the right to use those
same tools for their own purposes or convenience.  The employee/employer
master/servant relationship seems to be shifting in this case in a direction
towards employee/servant empowerment. It will be interesting to see if the
trend can gather any political steam.

Personally I would have suspected that laws would have tended to develop to
favour the employers rather than employees in this area because employees
would not be politically well organised enough to oppose the shift towards
greater surveilance of their activities. I'd have thought that most
employees would not object to clauses being placed in employment contracts
etc.. Perhaps they will. Perhaps I am wrong.

Brett Paatsch