[extropy-chat] Debate on Peak Oil

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 05:55:19 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Ja, but I expect it won't go much higher.  The basic
> issue is
> that having one's own car promotes one from a pawn
> to a knight.

Nah. I would say a car makes one a rook. The knight is
a motorcycle. On a motorcycle one can move in the
lanes or between them. On a motorcycle one wears armor
if one wants to live. One can't go as far as a rook
can, but one can go almost anywhere. One can even jump
over other pieces if one is Evel Knieval. The only
piece that is better if one needs to get somewhere in
a hurry no matter what the traffic is like, is a
helicopter which I would equate to a queen.

> If the subway engineers could work out a means
> whereby trains
> had individual locking compartments, large enough
> for singles,
> some for pairs, a few for groups of 3 to 10, then we
> proles would really like them and use them.

If these came to be, I might use them for the daily
commute, but I would not sell either my motorcycle or
my car for that matter. There are times when
established routes are counterproductive. And I don't
consider myself a prole but a modern day cavalier. I
may not be the king, but I got a horse. BTW... since
when did you become a prole? I would consider you
bourgeois at the least. ;)

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html