[extropy-chat] In defense of moral standards (Was: In defense of moral relativism)

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu May 5 05:57:22 UTC 2005

Not quite. Jeff's interpretation is correct: I am only challenging the
notion of external, objective *morality*. You may have been misled by
my using the term "Truth" in the sentence quoted below. I am using it
as shorthand for "Moral Truth".
I challenge the notion of external, objective morality because 1) it
cannnot have any positive effect (demonstration: I try to be kind to
children anyway without basing it on metaphysics), and 2) it can have
strong negative effects (demonstration: read the first history book
that you find).
As far as the notion of external, objective reality is concerned, I do
not doubt its usefulness and core validity (even if I think it may be
a bit more complex than we currently appreciate). Regarding *specific
statements* on external reality (e.g. the photon has zero mass, the
Earth is flat, the temperature of the background microwave radiation
is approximately 3K, the Moon is made of Emmenthal cheese, etc.), I
follow the classic scientific method and consider them open to
experimental confirmation or refutation. So I think a scientist is
free to consider hypothesis and try to test them experimentally, but
not free to murder fellow scientists who think differently.
G.