[extropy-chat] In defense of moral standards (Was: In defense of moral relativism)

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu May 5 08:14:35 UTC 2005

I always enjoy a good verbal contest, but I have a feeling that we are
sort of wasting our time with this specific issue.
You can affirm the objective existence of absolute morality, and I can
deny it, and we can still come to the same moral conclusions on
specific practical issues, same as we could still come to completely
different conclusions if we shared the same opinion on absolute
morality. So, believing or not in absolute morality has just no effect
on specific moral judgements.
So it is like middle age scholars discussing the sex of the angels, or
how many angels can dance on a needle tip: completely void of
practical meaning and relevance.