[extropy-chat] Casimir Torque Project

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu May 5 15:32:35 UTC 2005

--- Rik van Riel <riel at surriel.com> wrote:
> I guess if your experiment doesn't work, we might need to
> reformulate how the Casimir effect works.  Sounds like an
> experiment that's guaranteed to have something interesting
> as its outcome ;)

Exactly.  If it goes one way, we have something that's not quite a
perpetual motion machine but comes close.  If we don't get that, we've
shined a light on a significant misunderstanding of quantum mechanics.
It's worth doing either way.

(And then there's the nanostructuring on top of that, which is
apparently more needed than I thought.  Maybe they're thinking there's
a good chance I'll take the skills I use on this project and develop
molecular manufacturing or something. *shrugs*)